Maverick Update...
Okay...butterflies in my stomach and tears welled up is about as ready as I'll ever be to type this post...I pray that if you are reading this you can understand our position and offer support and not judgement.
Here it goes.
Short Version:
Kyle and I made the excruciating decision to lay our beloved Maverick down.
Long Version:
A year ago, Kyle and I were faced with a very difficult situation...Maverick had bit yet another person while we were away. The fifth bite. I spoke with our vet who said the euthanasia may be the only option for a dog of his temperament...anxious, aggressive, possessive...pretty much everything in the book. I was so adamant that I would not do that I searched all over the internet and made 15 phone calls to vets/specialists/animal behaviorist in the northwest. Finally really trusting Dr Valli at Synergy Behavior in Portland. She was referred to me by two other behaviorists that told me Maverick was beyond what they could work with, I appreciated their honesty and understood.
We worked with Dr Valli from December on, she came to our house to help us...we used training, muzzles, medication... I have such a hard time admitting that my best attempt of keeping him away from Marissa wasn't even good enough.
Wednesday, August 15th I had the muzzle off of Mav because he was drinking a lot of water since it was warm while we were playing outside. I had turned my back to them to get food out of the oven and I heard Marissa's piercing scream - everything became a blur as I ran to her rescue. He had bitten her right hand. (Days after he started lunging at her...it was the worst week of our lives...)
I called the behaviorist on Thursday expressing my concern...she said we could continue what we're doing and hope that he doesn't bite her again or euthanize him. The doctor said he would be a liability to any other person/family even at full disclosure and with his personality and aggression does not qualify for a rescue ranch. I then called the vet at Banfield, whom we've been working with as well, she supported the behaviorist's opinion and said the safest thing for our family would be to put him down.
Since I let his Rabies vaccine lapse by 2 weeks we had to quarantine him for 10 days - at the vet. I said that was not going to be okay with us - he hates it there and I couldn't have his last days be cooped up in a kennel shaking for 10 days. They said it would be a gray area, legally, if we kept him at home - I said that I would take my chances for his comfort.
3:30pm on Saturday the 25th we had the appointment. The vet and assistants were very kind and empathetic. The procedure went quickly...he was given propranolol and then the euthanasia....I held his head in my hands and couldn't hold back my tears as I sobbed. We stayed with him for about 20 minutes afterward.
2 weeks later I picked up his ashes which we have decided to bury in our backyard and plant a blueberry bush - he loved eating them off the bush at our first house.
I have decided to post this because maybe if I come public with it it will sink in...8 weeks later and it still doesn't feel real! :( We miss him so much!!....Tears still plague me at night. I received this email from Dr Valli a couple of weeks ago:
Hi Katie,
I wanted to follow up with you and see how you were doing, and to offer condolences. I know that it's been a little while, but I remember when my dog passed earlier this year it was a comfort for me to hear from people a little later on, so I hope that it is a comfort for you as well. I completely support the difficult decision that you made. I hope that your household is more relaxed now, and please don't feel guilty even though that is a common reaction. You did what was right for your family, and ultimately right for Maverick.Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Regards,
Dr. Valli
Here it goes.
Short Version:
Kyle and I made the excruciating decision to lay our beloved Maverick down.
Long Version:
A year ago, Kyle and I were faced with a very difficult situation...Maverick had bit yet another person while we were away. The fifth bite. I spoke with our vet who said the euthanasia may be the only option for a dog of his temperament...anxious, aggressive, possessive...pretty much everything in the book. I was so adamant that I would not do that I searched all over the internet and made 15 phone calls to vets/specialists/animal behaviorist in the northwest. Finally really trusting Dr Valli at Synergy Behavior in Portland. She was referred to me by two other behaviorists that told me Maverick was beyond what they could work with, I appreciated their honesty and understood.
We worked with Dr Valli from December on, she came to our house to help us...we used training, muzzles, medication... I have such a hard time admitting that my best attempt of keeping him away from Marissa wasn't even good enough.
Wednesday, August 15th I had the muzzle off of Mav because he was drinking a lot of water since it was warm while we were playing outside. I had turned my back to them to get food out of the oven and I heard Marissa's piercing scream - everything became a blur as I ran to her rescue. He had bitten her right hand. (Days after he started lunging at her...it was the worst week of our lives...)
I called the behaviorist on Thursday expressing my concern...she said we could continue what we're doing and hope that he doesn't bite her again or euthanize him. The doctor said he would be a liability to any other person/family even at full disclosure and with his personality and aggression does not qualify for a rescue ranch. I then called the vet at Banfield, whom we've been working with as well, she supported the behaviorist's opinion and said the safest thing for our family would be to put him down.
Since I let his Rabies vaccine lapse by 2 weeks we had to quarantine him for 10 days - at the vet. I said that was not going to be okay with us - he hates it there and I couldn't have his last days be cooped up in a kennel shaking for 10 days. They said it would be a gray area, legally, if we kept him at home - I said that I would take my chances for his comfort.
3:30pm on Saturday the 25th we had the appointment. The vet and assistants were very kind and empathetic. The procedure went quickly...he was given propranolol and then the euthanasia....I held his head in my hands and couldn't hold back my tears as I sobbed. We stayed with him for about 20 minutes afterward.
2 weeks later I picked up his ashes which we have decided to bury in our backyard and plant a blueberry bush - he loved eating them off the bush at our first house.
I have decided to post this because maybe if I come public with it it will sink in...8 weeks later and it still doesn't feel real! :( We miss him so much!!....Tears still plague me at night. I received this email from Dr Valli a couple of weeks ago:
Hi Katie,
I wanted to follow up with you and see how you were doing, and to offer condolences. I know that it's been a little while, but I remember when my dog passed earlier this year it was a comfort for me to hear from people a little later on, so I hope that it is a comfort for you as well. I completely support the difficult decision that you made. I hope that your household is more relaxed now, and please don't feel guilty even though that is a common reaction. You did what was right for your family, and ultimately right for Maverick.Please let me know if I can be of any help.
Regards,
Dr. Valli

We miss you, Maverick...

Comments
Post a Comment